Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Four quadrants? Or just one?

From the activity we did today in class about the "killing lion", the "innocent lamb", the "lying serpent", and the "truthful angel", I was able to evaluate myself in a way that I had never previously pondered or thought.  I had never asked myself, "In extreme (or not so extreme) circumstances, how likely or to what point would you decide to kill or not kill someone else?" or, "What situations would cause you to lie or not lie?"  This process helped me place myself in one of the quadrants pretty easily based on my initial right-a-way answers.  

I seemed to fit in the quadrant of innocent lamb/truthful angel based on my immediate answers to the questions and my overall personality; I am generally a very merciful, optimistic, sympathetic person who tends to want to be pretty easy-going.  However, I found myself somewhat on the border of being close to the innocent lamb/serpent quadrant.  As I began to question which quadrant I really belonged in, I started to see myself being able to fit in each quadrant, if put in very certain and particular "What if?" circumstances that entered my thoughts.  I then began to think about everyone else besides just me.  All of these people defined to a particular quadrant, it just didn't seem human.  I mean, all of us have moments in which we would fall into each category, which leads me to believe that every one's placement on the graph is more or less a "default" or instant reflex response to a common situation.  
And being that we are all human, we all sin and do wrong, meaning we could never be completely on the "truthful angel" side or the "innocent lamb" side.  
This leads me to believe that truly, there is only one quadrant; lying serpent/killing lion, and that it all is just a matter of how close (or far) you are from the intersecting corner. 
I see this process more as an indicator of how much we are willing to kill and lie than a measure of anything else.  I think to myself as if it's asking, "How much are you willing to go from a state of being good/neutral to the point of lying or killing?"

I found this activity very interesting and eye-opening for not just analyzing myself, but also family/friends/acquaintances, historical figures, and current celebrities/cultural icons.  I also found this a good exercise to get the whole class involved and thinking.  It seemed to help get the point across to us each individually since we were able to apply ourselves directly to the situations.  

 This image represents a serpent/lion category charcter (the lion) against a much more angel/lamb character (the lamb).

No comments:

Post a Comment